Monday, March 9, 2009

Thrift Store Refurbish

I absolutely adore silk! My love affair with silk began when I was 14 and my mother bought me a pale green Diane Von Furstenburg church dress. That dress was so soft and silky that I wore and treasured it until I was 25.

I was a spoiled brat and still am, but I don't always have the coinage to fund my Cosmopolitan tastes. This is one of the reasons why I make my own clothing. Another mechanism which enables me to maintain my Cosmopolitan leanings on a pauper's dime is the friendly neighborhood thrift store. While foraging this weekend, I came across these two delicious pieces of silk:
Photobucket
Often, one can find perfectly fine pieces in the thrift, but more often than not, one has to perform minor (or major) surgery to make a piece work. Like these two beauties had a couple of fixable imperfections. The skirt had a hideous piece of tulle attached to the hem. That might be OK for a twenty-something, but I'm pushing forty, so I can't do what the chickadees do. The blouse had an aweful cut out neckline (well, it was aweful to me, but someone else may have found it perfectly acceptable):
Photobucket
So, I removed the tulle from the skirt and reshaped the neckline of the blouse after removing the cutout.Here is a closer look at the back neckline: Photobucket
Well, that's it for now! Back to the studio....

2 comments:

Susan said...

I haven't tried using thrift store finds yet. My roommate even does this to recycle the yarn for her knitting. Great idea!

bbitce said...

Thank you! If you ever try it, you should also look in the plus size section and the evening gown section. There are lovely fabrics in both!

I have seen folks blog about recycling knit, but the process seems too tedious and time-consuming for me. Besides, I found a site that sells yarn wholesale and I can get ten balls for 20 American!