Thursday, June 12, 2008

Draping Experiment



This is a dress that I fabricated last night for my daughter's friend. I was bored. I had the extra fabric. She was there. This is the resultant:




The floral fabric was the pre-shirred stuff from Joann's. The denim was a clearance item, also from Joann's. I had ten yards of the denim stuff. I only had about 25 inches of the floral, which was not enough to make a dress or a skirt. So, I draped the denim in the middle (on the bias) and pinned it. My original thought was to have the denim in the back, which would cascade out, like a train. However, the denim was a bit heavier than I expected. The heaviness caused the fabric to pull downward slightly. So, I cut off the excess material and did a simple hem. This is a view of the dress from the back:










We took a wrestling break, therefore the dress is a bit wrinkled.....

The two fabrics do not necessarily go together, but the experienced gained in doing this was valuable. I learned two VERY important lessons:







  1. Draping is not that difficult....just do it. Make it work!
  2. Listen to what the fabric says to you. As you work, the fabric will almost fall into place. I find this to be much less frustrating then attempting to 'force' results.
















1 comment:

Tany said...

It looks really good! Well done!